833-FVB-PSYC (382-7792) | Mississauga: infom@fvb.ca | Brampton: infob@fvb.ca


Psychologists vs. Psychological Associates


On their website, The College of Psychologists of Ontario distinguishes between psychologists and psychological associates:

"The difference is in how they are trained. Both have completed an undergraduate degree and have gone on to complete a graduate degree in psychology.

Psychological Associates have completed a masters level degree in psychology (e.g. M.A., M.Sc., M. Ps., M.Ed.), which is then followed by four years of experience working in the scope of practice of psychology. Psychologists have completed a doctoral level degree in psychology (Ph.D., Psy.D., Ed.D., D.Psy.) which typically includes a one-year internship.

Both psychologists and psychological associates have then completed at least one additional year of formal supervised experience approved by the College and passed the three examinations required by the College.

The profession of psychology in Ontario has a single scope of practice.  There is no distinction made in the legislation or in the regulations between psychologists and psychological associates with respect to scope of practice or with respect to controlled/authorized acts.

Note: The information above is quoted from www.cpo.on.ca.